So, you’ve decided that you want to do a DTS with YWAM, now the big question arises; which base will you choose? We know that it’s tough to decide, so we hope that knowing a bit more about us will help you to discern if God is calling you to this particular place.
1) YWAM Rogaland has an incredibly unique DTS schedule centered around Bible reading. The schedule is actually formatted so that students will read the entire Bible throughout the 6 month DTS. If you want to grow closer to God, the most practical first step you can take is to learn more about His character based on how He has acted in the past. Lucky for us, the Bible is a compilation of stories that reveal God’s character! The more we read, the more we know Him. To trust someone, you have to know them first. Essentially, YWAM Rogaland’s focus on Bible reading provides an excellent opportunity for students to know more of God’s character and to grow in trusting Him.
“All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.” - 2 Timothy 3:16 NLT
2) Our DTSes also plants a firm foundation in prayer. Every Tuesday and Thursday we have a designated hour of intercession. During this student-lead time, we pray for nations, our friends and family back home, and for major issues in the world such as addiction, broken families, and poverty. In addition to intercession twice a week, two hours of prayer is required each week; this time can be spent at the Prayer Loft in Sola. You can also sign up for an hour on our prayer chain to go towards your two hours of weekly prayer. The goal of the prayer chain is to have round the clock prayer for our base, the nations, and for the different spheres of society.
“Remember, the fire must be kept burning on the altar at all times. It must never go out.” Leviticus 6:13 NLT
3) Empowering young people to step into leadership and take hold of what God has placed on their hearts is a practice that this base has taken extreme interest in for years now. Many of the responsibilities here are placed in the very capable hands of early to mid twenty year old staff. When given the opportunity, young people can display their flexibility, adaptability, and capability.
"Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity." - 1 Timothy 4:12
4) Once you’ve chosen this base, you can count on being intentionally discipled, YWAM Rogaland would love for you to stay and serve in our ministry; however we will gladly train, prepare, and send you out if you are called elsewhere! If you have a ministry or nation on your heart, you can count on us to pray, encourage and equip you for whatever vision God has placed on your heart. Then, when it comes time, YWAM Rogaland will joyfully release you to wherever you are called! God didn’t say “preach the gospel to only Norway”, He said to share the gospel with all creation. So, because of this, we will challenge you to be bold in your dreams.
"He said to them, 'Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.' " - Mark 16:15
5) Our Backpack DTS offers a multitude of tracks; unlike most bases, each of our tracks have several outreach locations. This feeds into our vision to reach all of the nations! Over the years, YWAM Rogaland has sent different teams to specific nations that we hope to make long-term investments in. So, one team may not be in one location for more than a couple weeks, however, our base continues to send teams every year to those locations. For example, this is the second year that we have been sending a team to Papua New Guinea, and we hope to continue investing in this specific nation in the future as well. Another unique aspect of multiple outreach locations is the effect it has on the students. By visiting multiple nations, students are provided the opportunity to share the gospel in vastly different cultures. This gives room for students to learn how to better love and honor people in all nations!
“Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other.” - Romans 12:10
In terms of prayer, we are constantly praying for our DTS students, our staff, pioneer teams and field workers, local ministries and churches in Sola, for the nations and all of the spheres of society. We would like to invite you to join us in prayer for these topics!
This is just a taste of all that God has given us a heart for. On that note, we love sharing our vision! If you have any questions about what else God is leading us toward, please feel free to contact us.
By Amethyst Klinger, current DTS Student of the 2017 Backpack DTS